Saturday 6 June 2020

Toby Hadoke Interview (2020)




Around 25 years ago or so my friend Paul started at Salford Uni doing a BA in Drama and the Arts and began doing some plays in Manchester. He excitedly told me one night in the pub, ‘Oh there is this bloke you’d get on with, he loves Doctor Who too’

Fast forward a few years and we’re in a different pub and I mention that a guy from Manchester University has written and released a comedy show based around Doctor Who… to which Paul says, ‘Yeah, that’s Toby, I told you there was someone else that liked Doctor Who’…

In February this year Toby and I finally met at Paul’s wedding, at Peckforton Castle, Cheshire, setting for the 1973 Jon Pertwee story ’The Time Warrior'





I can imagine that most people reading this, who are aware of Toby will associate him to the long running, award winning, XS Malarkey Comedy Club (formerly Murphy's Malarkeyhe started in Manchester in 1997 aged just 23

Others will recognise him from the world of 'Cult TV,’ particularly Doctor Who, from the books he’s written, the many ‘extras’ he’s produced for the DVD and BluRay range, the numerous appearances on Podcasts and/or the fantastic, epic ‘Who’s Round’ series in which he’s interviewed over 200 individuals connected to the show, from both in front of the camera and behind the scenes

He’s a regular freelance writer who contributes to The Guardian, regular BBC Radio Broadcaster and actor, appearing in numerous shows, such as Corrie, Emmerdale, Shameless, Phoenix Nights to name a few

Despite ‘Lockdown’ Toby must one of the busiest men I know of and apparently has no end to his talents


Hello Toby, how are you?

I’m alright mate. Still not quite sure I’ve got lockdown right. 

I’m either wasting time achieving little or in a flurry of over activity. But, you know, I’m luckier than most: I have a garden, I have a box full of Seabrook’s crisps and Scampi fries, and as a self employed person in the arts, I am used to having to scramble for work and having little in the way of financial security or certainty about the future.




First and foremost I guess as a Doctor Who ‘fan’ I should thank you for all you’ve done.

The ‘Who's Round’ series has been fascinating, especially as it’s given so many people a chance to talk about their lives and careers. It’s especially poignant now as some people such as Lynda Bellingham, David Collins, Peter Miles to name a few are no longer with us. 

Was there a point when you were working on it that you realised the importance of what you were doing, not just for Doctor Who fans but for the wider ‘entertainment’ industry

No need to thank me - I only do it because it interests me, no-one has forced me to do any of it. Labour of love! But thanks.

Who’s Round? It’s all a bit of a blur really. I was doing it whilst itinerant and going through a divorce, so my life was a mess, but every couple of days my diary indicated I had somewhere to be and someone to talk to so it was a useful anchor. I think after I did Kevin McNally quite early on I realised that it was more interesting not just being about Doctor Who - most people have been interviewed and have said what they have to say over and over again, so making it a snapshot of a a 30 year period of showbiz history seemed quite worthwhile. Kevin was such a good and down to Earth interviewee despite being a very well known actor, and he emboldened me. 

Then, about half way through, Margot Hayhoe started introducing me to all sorts of AFMs and production managers who’d never been interviewed and had SO much new and interesting stuff to say, and that opened up a whole new dimension. 

And then, just as I was getting settled into it, Russell T Davies said yes and that gave it a real shot on the arm!!! 


Of all the actors you’ve interviewed and met. Is there one that you’d though ‘you’d have made a great Doctor’?

Ooh, tricky one. I think there’s still time for Jonjo O’Neill. We laughed a lot and he’s definitely got the chops for it. 


Some of the documentaries you’ve been involved in, such as spending weekends with actors, tracking down people whose work may have been forgotten, as well as working through the Doctor Who Cookbook have been the most interesting and informative of the range. 

What has been your personal favourite?

I am extremely proud of the Peter R Newman one because we tracked down people who’d never spoken and we solved a genuine mystery. No-one knew much about Newman at all and by the end we had pictures and even his voice. That’s the sort of thing I as a punter would have really wanted so I’m glad we delivered it. 


On the other hand, I’m not sure I’d have wanted a documentary about Whose Doctor Who, that was Chris Chapman’s idea... and yet it turned out to be a very moving and informative experience. So my first and my latest are my current favourites, but I’ve enjoyed them all. 


Do you have to pinch yourself that you have got to spend time with so many ‘heroes’ you had growing up?

It’s all I wanted as a kid, to meet my heroes. I’ve been very lucky. It can be very surreal at times and I never get blasé about it - fortunately, having a job to do gives you something to hide behind which calms the nerves. 




How did Murphy's Malarkey (later XS Malarkey) come about? You would you still have been at Uni at this time?

No, I was unemployed and doing the odd gig here and there. I’d been out of Uni a year or so. I was getting paid for comedy but I was quite lazy. I’ve always had imposter syndrome too so being a comic never seemed like a long term proposition. 

But my brother-in-law was in a band and they had a regular stint at a pub, Scruffy Murphy’s. The boss told him he wanted a comedy night and I was the only comedian my brother-in-law knew and so he put us in touch. 

I thought it’d last till Christmas (it started the first week of October). It’s still here 24 years later!


There can’t be many ’named’ comedians in the business who you haven’t booked at some point over the years. Are there any particular bookings / nights that really stand out?

We got Canadian comic Stewart Francis early on which was an early coup - he was a friend of a friend. And it was a great night (and, having been a free night, we charged entry and that made it instantly better). Peter Kay came quite early on too. 

Our tenth birthday had Toby Foster, Jimmy Cricket and Mark Steel which covered every style in comedy from the previous God-knows-how-long and was a satisfyingly balanced bill (if not in terms of gender and ethnicity, something we consciously address a lot more now - but this was 14 years ago). 

Stewart Lee doing the gig also have us a lot of attention and respect. I loved the moment when he took questions from the audience and someone said “Why is it £20 to see you in London and £3 here?” And he was genuinely shocked. He didn’t know we charged so little (some people only paid £1). He’s been a great advocate for Malarkey ever since. 


Is there anyone who you’ve not been able to get or would be on your list to perform at the club?

I really dreamed of getting Bob Monkhouse early on but that was never anything other than a pipe dream. We’ve been very lucky over the years. 

Most comics coming through the ranks have done the gig before offing the big time - that’s the nature of the circuit.




Who inspired you to do Stand Up?

I was a comedy fan without knowing it. I used to tape Whose Line Is It Anyway but I always thought of myself more as a comedy actor: I loved Monty Python etc. I used to watch the UK version of Saturday Live too. 

But I thought stand-up was for people made of sterner stuff than I (I got very into Bill Hicks who seemed so wise and brave) ... so I never really thought about doing it until a friend set up an open mic night and asked if I fancied it. 

I thought it’d be an interesting experience but actually I really enjoyed it. Quarter of a century later...


During Lockdown it’s been particularly difficult for a number of industries, including entertainment and the arts. You’ve been doing ‘online’ sessions via Twitch every week, how has this been going? Have you found a ‘wider’ audience, i.e. ‘beyond Manchester’?

To be honest I have no idea of the audience, someone else deals with that. I just turn up and open my mouth. But I think it’s been nice for people who use to come but moved away from Manchester, so yes, people are definitely watching who otherwise wouldn’t be able to. 

I think we’ll continue some form of remote gig whatever happens... the lockdown has taught us new ways of doing things. It’s been rather fun if odd - you really do need an audience to feed off - but we’ve finally worked out how best to pitch and do it and we’ve had some amazing acts who we’d never have been able to get normally because they’d have to travel so far. 


You seem to have been constantly busy during the period we’ve all been stuck at home, from transforming your back garden to producing cooking videos, appearing on podcasts to your writing projects. Would you have been ‘productive’ if you hadn’t been stuck at home?

I’m a bit disappointed to be honest. For the past 20 years I’ve convinced myself that if only I didn’t have so much to do I’d be able to get regular exercise, proper eating habits, and a proper productive work pattern which would result in me writing loads. 

Well, I finally got what I wanted and I’ve done NONE OF IT!!!




How’s Bernard been coping with it? 

He’s fine: he has company all the time and is very spoilt!


Since the age of 11 you’ve ‘lived’ with psoriasis. I’d not heard of the condition before hearing you talk about it on a podcast and was impressed by how open and honest you were about it on your blog. As well as comedy and culture you’ve done a lot to promote awareness of this… 

Have I? That’s good. 

I’ve been very lucky with the treatment I have received. I’m an out patient at the Royal Free hospital under a brilliant consultant dermatologist and she has given me exemplary care - so if I’m asked to do anything like sit on an advisory panel, give a talk or do a load of radio interviews then I’m more than happy. 

It’s a hugely misunderstood condition and there’s much work to be done.


Last year you took a month away from Social Media. How did you feel after doing this?  

Interestingly I’m considering ditching Twitter as we speak. 

The lack of nuance and it’s quick descent into ill-thought out fury is grating. It’s like living with tinnitus that has a grudge, a poor education and a huge sense of self importance. It’s a shame because there’s a lot that is good and it’s useful for work, but it can get quite stressful. 

I coped remarkably well stepping away from it. Still didn’t write that book though. 


What will be the first thing you’ll do once lockdown is fully lifted?

I’m quite a home bird and I don’t drink anymore so there’s nothing I’m that desperate for. My partner is vulnerable though so we’re being ultra careful. No takeaways in two months. So a massive takeaway I think, we have a fabulous Indian across the road: I’ll take one of those!







Iain Key 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment